What is HES Data?
Hospital Episode Statistics (HES) is a database captured and managed by NHS Digital, containing details of all admissions at NHS hospitals in England. It allows hospitals to be paid for the care they deliver (Payment by Results).
Each HES record contains a wide range of anonymised information about an individual patient admitted to an NHS hospital. For example:
- Clinical information about diagnoses and operations
- Information about the patient, such as age group, gender and ethnic category
- Administrative information, such as date of admission, treatment speciality
- Geographical information on where the patient was treated and the area in which they lived.
HES Data from Meditrends
From HES we can glean insights around:
- Disease Epidemiology: Incidence, Prevalence and Mortality
- Treatments and Procedures
- Disease awareness
- Treatment pathways
- Treatment specialty
- Patient populations and their characteristics
- Health Outcomes
- Resource utilisation
- Geographical distribution of patients
- Disease area insights
- Disease burden
- Economic Value: Healthcare resource utilisation and Costs
Meditrends makes Hospital Episode Statistics data (HES) accessible – it presents the aggregated and anonymised HES data in a suite of reports that are easy to interpret and interrogate.
Therapy Area codes are predefined ensuring ease of use, consistency of message across all users of the tool as well as an easier sign off process internally.
Insights from Meditrends can be used to:
- Provide decision support
- Transform data into actionable insights
- Qualify and quantify disease burden
- Present compelling Real-World data stories/narratives
- Engage with Health Care Professionals (HCPs)
- Support strategic decision making
- Identify current and future clinical needs and address them with innovative therapeutic strategies and treatments
- Inform healthcare decisions
- Understand, demonstrate and communicate value
- Improve patient outcomes